At 2:00 pm, Tuesday, May 1st, the Shenandoah Apple Blossom Festival® received word from authorities at Shenandoah University that the new Shenandoah University Parking Garage, located east of I-81 on Ralph Shockey Drive, is now operational; and, can be used during the Festival’s seven Tolley Zone Events.
The following, therefore, is a list of available parking in the area of the Tolley Zone Events:
- The main Wilkins Center Parking Lot which is listed as 216 regular spaces and 8 handicapped spaces.
- The small Shentel Stadium lot which is listed as 25 spaces and 3 handicapped spaces.
- The parking at the former Holiday Inn [now student housing] which will be marked by S/U as to student areas and public areas. This is listed as 81 regular spaces and 4 handicapped spaces.
- The shoulder-parking that will be allowed along the east side [the side opposite the football stadium] of Ralph Shockey Drive. This will be approximately 50 regular spaces.
- The parking at the new parking garage/ground-level parking lot which is estimated at 400 spaces [the Festival does not have details on the new parking garage/parking lot yet; only that it is open].
This totals 772 regular parking spaces and at least 15 handicapped spaces [plus whatever handicapped spaces are in the parking garage/lot]. This should be more than adequate for any Tolley Zone Event.
The area of the Shenandoah University Campus where the Festival is holding the Tolley Zone Events; and, all of the five available adjacent parking areas [as listed above] are east of I-81. It is easiest to approach this area from the traffic light at Millwood Avenue and Tulane Drive [by the La Quinta Hotel]. Very shortly after you turn onto Tulane Drive, you enter the actual Shenandoah University Campus; and, Tulane Drive becomes Ralph Shockey Drive. All of the parking areas, the Wilkins Center, the football stadium, and the parking garage are all located along a half-mile stretch of Ralph Shockey Drive between the Wilkins Center and the I-81 Bridge.
At Wednesday’s sold-out Business-at-the-Bloom event, Event Organizers found that people tried to park as soon as they turned off of Millwood Avenue onto Tulane Drive. It appeared that the shoulder-parking along Ralph Shockey Drive and the new Parking Garage were barely used. Event attendees are encouraged to drive on into the Campus on Ralph Shockey Drive and use these additional parking options rather than clogging up the area right off of Millwood Avenue near the La Quinta Hotel and the entrance into College Park Subdivision.
The Festival understands that we will have help from the Frederick County Sheriff’s Department in getting traffic out of Tulane Drive and back onto Millwood Avenue. Wherever you choose to park or drive, the Festival politely, but firmly, asks you to do four things: 01) Obey the rules of law [and, the many temporary No Parking signs] because the Frederick County Sheriff’s Department and the Fire Marshal will be patrolling the area; 02) Obey the rules of common courtesy because it is Apple Blossom Time and it is time to be happy and friendly; 03) Car pool whenever you can to reduce traffic as much as possible; and, 04) Please be careful of the students; they are not used to Festival traffic on their Campus. The Festival thanks you for your cooperation!!!