In the nine months since he took office, current Festival President, Mike Stanfield, has demonstrated that he is not at all shy about adding new and exciting facets to the Festival structure. The Festival has already released Official Announcements of a sizzling new Tropical Latin Dance Party for Festival Thursday night: “A Night in Havana;” a new “foodie” party for midday Festival Thursday: the USA Produce & Seafood Bloomtown Derby: A Wine and Food Experience; and, a new athletic event, the Stonebrook Club Amateur Tennis Tournament presented by Partlow Insurance. President Mike is now pleased to add to this list a brand-new contest, based on pink-and-green creativity, and the idea that there is no upper limit to how much one should decorate one’s self and/or one’s house at Festival time. “Doors in Bloom” – an area-wide door-decorating competition – is the brainchild of Festival Volunteer, Tina Jacobin Stowell; and, the particulars regarding this exciting contest are:
- The entry period is from Wednesday, March 15th, through Tuesday, April 18th. There is no entry fee.
- There will be two judged categories: Residential and Business. There will be three winners in each category (First, Second and Third Place). All doors must be attached to a building in the Winchester/ Frederick County area. Only one door per address may be entered.
- Entries may be made by: 1) Uploading a picture at: https://thebloom.com/contest/doors-in-bloom/; or, 2) Texting a picture by phone along with your name and address to: (540) 208-0990.
- Judging Points are: Use of color, use of space, use of creative material, and overall impression; with bonus points for incorporating the 2017 Theme: “Bloomtown: Bringing the “Wow” for 90 Years!”
- The Committee will “audition” all entries; and, a “Top Five” in each category will be created. These two “Top Fives” will be judged in-person by a panel of judges on Saturday, April 22nd. Entrants will be notified (by phone) by Wednesday, April 19th, if they have been selected as a finalist; and, they will need to respond within 24 hours with accurate address information for the final judging.
- Final winners will be contacted by phone with details and will be presented with awards. First prize winners will be invited to ride in the Grand Feature Parade. Additional prizes may be awarded.
- All photos submitted may be used for promotional purposes. Further, the Festival is seriously considering the creation of a “Doors in Bloom” poster, featuring a selection of entries from the inaugural 2017 contest. You will be notified with further details if your door is selected for this poster. These would likely be produced during the “off-season” to be sold at the 2018 Festival.
Full credit is given to the uber-enthusiastic, Tina Jacobin Stowell, who hatched the “Doors in Bloom” idea; and, brought it to Festival Officials as a well-thought-out concept. After a series of meetings with Festival Officials to set up a smoothly-functioning structure, it is now presented to the Bloom Nation as a further means of bringing the “Wow” to Bloomtown in 2017. Stay tuned to www.thebloom-staging.b13c89km-liquidwebsites.com for updated details on this fascinating new Festival tradition! And feel free to contact Tina Jacobin Stowell at: firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.