The Festival Carnival, presented by Powers Great American Midways, will be here for a much longer run this year! The standard Carnival run for many years has been Tuesday through Sunday, wrapped around Parade Weekend, the first weekend in May. But, the Festival has been quite successful in recent years at reaching forward into the springtime calendar, and establishing its highly successful United Bank Wine Festival on the last weekend in April, and filling in the intervening week with great new events. In a salute to that success, Mr. Carnival himself, Corky Powers, asked the Festival if he could run his Carnival and Midway over Wine Festival Weekend as well. So, for the first time ever, the Festival Carnival will begin on the first day of the Festival, Friday, April 24th, and will run to the last day of the Festival, Sunday, May 3rd. Official hours are:
- Friday, April 24th – 5:00pm to 11:00pm
- Saturday, April 25th – 12noon to 11:00pm
- Sunday, April 26th – 12noon to 9:00pm
- Monday, April 27th – Carnival Lot Closed
- Tuesday, April 28th – 5:00pm to 11:00pm
- Wednesday, April 29th – 5:00pm to 11:00pm
- Thursday, April 30th – 5:00pm to 11:00pm
- Friday, May 1st – 2:00pm to 11:00pm
- Saturday, May 2nd – 12noon to 11:00pm
- Sunday, May 3rd – 12noon to 9:00pm
Corky Powers has also asked the Festival if he could create some special way of showing his gratitude to the local community for its years and years of support of his Carnival. Festival Organizers, of course, said, yes; and, Corky immediately put together, for the first time ever: Winchester/Frederick County Appreciation Day, which will be held on Sunday, April 26th. For this one special day, attendees can ride any ride for $1.00; fountain drinks can be purchased for $1.00; and, selected games may be played for $1.00. Bring the kids out to the traditional Carnival Lot, located at 2400 Valley Avenue [Route 11 South]. Look for the glow in the sky!
Down in Old Town, Festival Organizers have worried that the “Midway Multitudes” still aren’t completely used to the Midway’s move off of the Loudoun Street Walking Mall; and, may not yet be aware that some of the best parts of the Midway “scene” are in the area of North Loudoun Street and Fairfax Lane, and on the parking lots at Wells Fargo Bank, Bank of Clarke County, and the Winchester Group Insurance. The Chevrolet Midway opens Friday, May 1st, at 10:00 AM, and closes at 10:00 PM. It continues on Saturday, May 2nd, with the same hours. For the first time ever, this year a new Midway Kids’ Zone will be featured! The Kids’ Zone, located on the Bank of Clarke County parking lot, will feature a “Free Moon Bounce”. Also in the zone, will be a bubble shooter vendor, a dipping dots kiosk, shaved ice vendors, kettle corn, BBQ and other Midway food and games.
The Oak Crest Companies/Winchester Imaging Free Concerts will return this year on the Jim Stutzman Stage at the Wells Fargo Bank lot, and will run the same hours as the Midway.
- Friday, 5/1 – 11:00am – Rob Rampey
- Friday, 5/1 – 1:00pm – SV Jazz Band
- Friday, 5/1 – 4:30pm – Boo Snider
- Friday, 5/1 – 7:30pm – US Navy Cruisers Band
- Saturday, 5/2 – 11:00am – Ronnie Johnson Band
- Saturday, 5/2 – 1:00pm – The Carroll Brothers
- Saturday, 5/2 – 4:30pm – Shag
- Saturday, 5/2 – 8:00pm – Rob Rampey
Late addition! A Chevrolet sprint car raced by Kevin Harvik has just been added. It simulates driving in a NASCAR Race using TV and the car’s controls. It will be on the Midway both days from 10:00am to 10:00pm.