Despite a history that stretches back to the pre-television, pre-computer days of the Model-T Ford and the static-filled sound of early radio, in its 88th year, the Shenandoah Apple Blossom Festival® always seeks to keep itself as current as its fans hope it can be. The Festival established its signature web site, thebloom.com, many years ago; has become Facebook, Twitter and YouTube friendly in recent years; and, has added a very active system of e-news blasts for its network of email subscribers. Now, in the Age of the Smartphone, it logically followed that it was time for an Official Festival App (available for iPhone/iPad and Android). Developed by Brad Veach of Mobile Marketing and Entertainment Solutions, the following is the description given for the new Festival App at the App Store:
“Celebrate the arrival of spring at the 88th Annual Shenandoah Apple Blossom Festival®. The Festival is held in Winchester – Frederick County, Virginia, in the beautiful and historic Northern Shenandoah Valley from April 24 – May 3, 2015. A small city with a rural atmosphere, Winchester is within easy driving time from Washington, DC; Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, PA; Baltimore, MD; and Richmond, VA. Crowds in excess of 250,000 attend the Festival each year. Enjoy over forty events including: band competitions, dances, parades, carnival, wine festival, breakfasts, luncheons, dinners, a 10K and Kid’s Race, the Coronation of Queen Shenandoah, Firefighters’ events, celebrity appearances, and much more! The Festival is an event the whole family can enjoy. Have the Festival in the palm of your hand with the Official 2015 Shenandoah Apple Blossom Festival® App. Great for advance planning and for use in real time, too.”
Official Festival App Features include:
- Events Calendar – Browse more than forty events, celebrity appearances, and much more! Enjoy the convenience of GPS turn-by-turn directions to each event site and see the time, description, and other details for each. Select your favorites and make a personal schedule.
- Festival Push Notifications – Stay informed of important announcements including celebrity guests, traffic, event news and more with real time notifications directly to your mobile device.
- Image Gallery and Photo Sharing – View the collection of images of both the present and past festivals and share your favorite event images with the Festival.
- Social Connect – Stay connected with the Festival through our in-app social media pages including Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and Twitter.
- Find My Car – Pin the parked location of a vehicle and easily retrieve it with GPS directions.
- Share Our App – Tell your friends about the Shenandoah Apple Blossom Festival® app through email, social media or text.
- PDF Maps – View Festival-themed PDF maps through your mobile device.
- Website Tab – Visit the Official Shenandoah Apple Blossom Festival® mobile website through the App.
- Souvenir Store – Order swag, gifts and everything Apple Blossom from the Official Souvenir Store.
- News Feed – Up-to-the minute RSS feeds from the Festival website and social media pages.
In addition, the Festival intends to use the new Official Festival App to create an additional interface between the Festival and the various jurisdictional “situation management departments” that the Festival works with to keep the public and the Festival Staff and Volunteers safer and better informed as the Festival progresses.